By: Jane Birch
There are literally thousands of low-fat WFPB recipes online. You only need a half dozen to a dozen that you really like. Don’t get overwhelmed. Try a few here and there until you discover what you like!
WFPB Recipe Sites
Fat-Free Vegan Kitchen. Hundreds of well-organized recipes.
Forks Over Knives Recipes. Great recipes. Be sure to also sign up for the newsletter to get new recipes delivered via email.
Engine 2 Diet Recipes. Find more great recipes in Rip Esselstyn’s books.
Straight Up Food. Cathy is a great chef and a culinary instructor.
McDougall Free Program. This free program includes recipes to get you started: (see link to the “10-Day Meal Plan”)
McDougall Newsletter Recipes. This is a massive database of recipes, look for this link, along with other useful recipe collections.
The Cancer Project Recipe Index. Plenty of gems.
Naked Food Magazine. This is a new WFPB magazine.
Protective Diet. Oil, Sugar, and Nut Free Recipes (requires free registration).
More WFPB Recipe Blogs
- Marla’s Marvelous Meals
- Happy Herbivore
- Healthy Girl’s Kitchen
- Potato Strong
- Plant-based Katie Mae
- Greener Eating
- New Paradigm Health Cookery
- Helen’s Healthy Kitchen
- Caroline’s Plant-Based Diet
- Vegan Coach
- Low Fat Vegan Chef
- Cooking with Plants
- The Nutrition Professor
There are many more!
See this list of 19 Healthy Vegan Cookbooks You Won’t Want to Go Without.
Here are some of the best pre-2014 cookbooks. (Amazon discontinued Listmainia in 2014, so I am not longer able to add to this list.)
- Pre-2014 WFPB Cookbooks
- The China Study Quick & Easy Cookbook
- The China Study All-Star Collection
- The PlantPure Nation Cookbook
- Plant-Powered Families
- More Happy Herbivore cookbooks.
WFPB Go-It-Yourself Step-by-step Guidebooks
- The Forks Over Knives Plan: How to Transition to the Life-Saving, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet by Alona Pulde & Matthew Lederman (2014)
- The Happy Herbivore Guide to Plant-based Living by Lindsay S. Nixon (2014)
- The Plant-Based Journey: A Step-by-Step Guide for Transitioning to a Healthy Lifestyle and Achieving Your Ideal Weight by Lani Muelrath (2015)
- The Campbell Plan: The Simple Way to Lose Weight and Reverse Illness, Using The China Study’s Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet by Thomas Campbell (2015)
Structured WFPB Food & Cooking Programs
- Dr. John McDougall Free Program (on-line recipes)
- Free 21-day Kickstart Program (21-day support group with recipes they email to you)
- Mary’s Mini (This is a short-term whole food, plant-based diet plan if you really want to drop the weight quickly.) See also this Mary’s Mini Facebook support group.
- Word of Wisdom Health Challenge. This is a do-it-yourself program that I sponsor. You can join the Facebook groups where we help support each other.
Not Free — Support Group Programs (all ones I recommend)
- Chef AJ Ultimate Weight Loss Program. Chef AJ is awesome. She uses solid whole food, plant-based principles to help you lose all your excess weight. (I’ve heard great reports from people who have participated.)
- The Protective Diet (free registration for many recipes but if you pay for the program you get many more recipes and great support; it costs $100 to sign-up plus $29.97 monthly membership fee for unlimited access, you can cancel at anytime). People I know love this program.
- Bright Line Eating. This is a very strict (and expensive) support group program geared to helping people with serious food addiction to break free. It is not strictly WFPB, but you can easily combine this program with the WFPB Guidelines (there is a version of Bright Line Eating that supports this). The four basic Bright Line rules are (1) no sugar; (2) no flour; (3) eat during meals and not in-between; and (4) measure and weigh all food.
Not Free — Other Resources and On-line Courses
- The Forks Over Knives Plan: How to Transition to the Life-Saving, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet (do-it-yourself book, very good)
- Plants Culinary Boot Camp (Various levels at $29, $89, and $229 for 3–4 months, with lots of help and support)
- Happy Herbivore: 7-day Meal Plans (I’ve heard great reports on the meal plans and how they simplify things)
- Forks Over Knives | Cooking Course (short-term on-line cooking course through Rouxbe)
- Plant-Based Professional Certification Course (advanced culinary training through online cooking school, Rouxbe)
Pre-Made Food Delivered to you
- PlantPure JumpStart: Affordable whole food, plant-based meals shipped to your home (in the U.S.)
- True North is a place you can stay for a short period of time or an extended period of time for very reasonable prices. They are best known for water-fasting, but they provide a variety of other services as well to help a wide range of people get started on a whole food, plant-based way of life.
Locating Vegetarian-Friendly Restaurants and Stores
- Happy Cow (ask restaurants to cook with no oil)
- VeganXpress (if this is your only option, find vegan, though often still not healthy, options at fast food restaurants)
More WFPB Food Resources
- Getting Started
- Figuring Out What to Eat
- WFPB Guidelines
- WFPB Meal Planning
- WFPB Made Easy
- WFPB Resources
Last updated: August 7, 2017